Morningstar PS-30M Charge Controller 30A 12-24V
Morningstar PS-30M Charge Controller 30A 12-24V is commonly used for small to medium off grid and other battery systems, such as backup power supplies. It can be used for any 12 or 24 volt battery system. It will handle up to 30 amps from the solar panels – about 500 watts of panel at 12 volts, 1000 watts at 24 volts. Morningstar’s series switching provides many advantages compared to shunt controllers. Series regulation reduces FET heating and lowers voltage stress on the power FET’s. A series configuration also improves protection against lightning surges and reduces switching noise. The series design improves charging accuracy. In PWM, series switching becomes self-correcting for temperature and system voltage drops. May be paralleled up to 300 amps.
Morningstar PS-30M Charge Controller 30A 12-24V is the world’s leading mid-range solar controller for both professional and consumer applications. This third generation ProStar (PS-30) provides the following:
- Adds new features and protections using highly advanced technology
- Provides longer battery life and improved system performance
- Sets new standards for reliability and self-diagnostics
Morningstar PS-30M Charge Controller 30A 12-24V Features
- Versions available: 15 or 30 amp 12 / 24 or 48 volt negative or positive ground
- Estimated 15 year life
- PWM series battery charging (not shunt)
- 3-position battery select: gel, sealed or flooded
- Very accurate control and measurement
- Jumper to eliminate telecom noise
- Parallel for up to 300 amps
- Temperature compensation
- Tropicalization: conformal coating, stainless steel fasteners & anodized aluminum heat sink
- No switching or measurement in the grounded leg
- 100% solid state
- Very low voltage drops
- Current compensated low voltage disconnect (LVD)
- LEDs indicate system status and various faults
- Capable of 25% overloads
- Remote battery voltage sense terminals
|Rated Solar Current||15 Amps||30 Amps||15 Amps|
|Rated Load Current||15A||30A||15A|
|Temp. Comp. (mV/°C)*||– 30mV||– 60mV||– 120mV|
|Min. voltage to operate||8V||8V||15V|
|LVD current coefficient**||– 20mV||– 40mV||– 80mV|
|Charge algorithm||PWM, constant voltage|
|Operating temperature||– 40°C to 60°C|
- Short-circuit — solar and load
- Overload — solar and load
- Reverse polarity
- Reverse current at night
- High voltage disconnect
- High temperature disconnect
- Lightning and transient surge protection
- Loads protected from voltage spikes
- Automatic recovery with all protections
- Night Disconnect: The solar array automatically disconnects at night to prevent reverse current leakage from the battery.
- Battery Sense: Good battery performance requires accurate charging. Voltage drops in the battery power cables can distort the battery charging. The Sense wires eliminate the voltage drops for optimized charging.
- Temperature Compensation: Four control setpoints (25°C reference) are compensated for temperature (PWM regulation, float, equalization, high voltage disconnect). The charging is compensated by –5 mV/°C /cell (–30mV/°C for a 12V battery). Compensation is limited to minus 30°C.
- Remote Temperature Probe: An optional probe is available to measure temperature at a location away from the controller. This requires soldering 2 wires to the ProStar PCB.
- Digital meterA precision 3-digit digital meter will continuously display battery voltage, solar current, and the load current. The meter automatically scrolls through these 3 displays. The 3 red LEDs will indicate which parameter is being displayed.The digital meter will operate from –30°C to 85°C. The values displayed are calibrated electronically in production and are accurate to within a few percent. Please note, however, that if the Battery Sense is not connected, the voltage displayed will be in error by the voltage drops in the battery wires.
- Highly accurate voltage and current display
- Low self-consumption (1 mA)
- Includes manual disconnect button
- Displays 5 different protection functions and disconnect conditions
- Self-diagnostics (self-test) provides a comprehensive test of the ProStar —
- Displays 9 different controller status parameters, including temperature
- Displays detected faults
- Positive ground
- Remote temperature probeAn optional remote temperature probe can be soldered to the ProStar assembly at any time. The standard cable length is 25 ft (7.6 m), and this can easily be extended to 100 ft (30 m) or longer. The 2 probe wires are soldered to the main board assembly between the temperature sensor and the green LED, at “J12”.
Optimized Battery Charging
The ProStar has 4 stages of charging to provide increased battery capacity and life. See the diagram below:
- Recharging with 100% of available solar energy.
- PWM constant-voltage regulation to prevent heating and excessive battery gassing. Pulse charging to restore full battery capacity.
- Float: After battery is fully recharged, ProStar reduces to a float or trickle charge. The transition depends on battery history. A load that exceeds available solar output will return ProStar to the PWM mode.
- Equalize: A boost charge that depends on elapsed time and battery history. Flooded cells receive a vigorous equalization, sealed batteries a smaller boost to bring uneven cells into balance and extend the battery life. Gel cells are not equalized.
Battery Voltage Setpoints*
The Battery Type rotary switch allows selection of 1 of 3 charging algorithms. These are broadly defined as the following battery types as noted on the lower label:
- Gel: Some gel and other battery types recommend lower regulation voltages and no equalization. This setting regulates to 14.0V (for a 12V battery).
- Sealed: AGM, “maintenance free” and some types of gel batteries. Regulates to 14.15V (12V battery) with 14.35V boost charging.
- Flooded: Vented cells that require water to be added. Regulates to 14.4V with 14.9V and 15.1V equalizations (12V battery).
|Note: values are for 12V. Use 2X for 24V and 4X for 48V.|
ProStar Model Comparison:
|Model Number||Digital Meter||Positive Ground||Remote Temp. Probe|
|Standard:||This item is included.|
|Yes:||This item is compatible, but not included.|
|No:||This item is not compatible.|
- The ProStar uses stainless steel fasteners, an anodized heat sink, and conformal coating to protect from harsh conditions. However, for acceptable service life extreme temperatures and marine environments should be avoided.
- The ProStar prevents reverse current leakage at night, so a blocking diode is not required in the system.
- The ProStar is designed to regulate ONLY solar (photovoltaic) power. Do not connect it to any other type of power generator. Do not attempt to regulate a wind turbine. However, other power sources can be connected directly to the battery.
- The connector terminals will accept a maximum wire size of AWG #6 /16 mm2 (solid/multistrand) or AWG #8 / 10 mm2 (fine strand). Use a flathead insulated screwdriver, and torque tightly up to 35 in-lb.
- Fuses or DC disconnects may be required in the system. These protection devices are not part of the ProStar controller.
- The Solar, Battery, and Load negative terminals are all connected together inside the ProStar per UL recommendations. No switching or measurement is done in the negative current path.
- For positive ground versions, the Solar, Battery and Load POSITIVE terminals are connected together inside the ProStar. The positive system conductor must be properly grounded. Make sure the upper label of the ProStar indicates “Positive Ground” above the version number to confirm this is a positive ground ProStar controller.
Rated Solar Current 30A
Rated Load Current 30A
System Voltage 12/24V
Digital Meter yes
Positive Ground yes
Remote Temp. Probe yes